Friday, August 6, 2010

Museum of Bad Art

My friend Jon just sent me this article.  I was glad to see that admission is free to this museum - it would be entertaining to visit, but I wouldn't want to pay anything in order to see "bad art!"

It sounds, though, like this museum is able to turn "bad art" into something somewhat positive (gasp!) and entertaining.  I enjoyed the quote in the article by Louise Reilly Sacco (the co-founder of the museum): "We celebrate these pieces, and we enjoy them.  Once you get beyond the name of the museum, we never say bad things about them."

What do you think?  Do you think it's right for someone to stipulate if art is "bad?" (I don't have a problem with it, but I could see how such an idea could be controversial.)  Would you visit such a museum?  Would you pay for admission?

*You can check out the website for the Museum of Bad Art (MOBA) here.