Tuesday, August 10, 2010

King Tut's Gold Throne

I came across this stunning image of from the back of King Tut's gold throne (left, c. 1332-1322 BC) tonight.  Isn't it gorgeous? (Click on the image to enlarge it, if you don't believe me.)  I love the striking, bold colors.  And I especially love that Tutankhamun is depicted with the lil' Amarna-style belly that his dad popularized in Egyptian art (see the relief Ahkenaten and His Family, c. 1353-1336 BC, for one another example of the Amarna style).

This throne shows Tutakhamun being anointed with perfume by his wife, Ankhesenamun.  I love the fine details in Ankhesanumun's robe, and I especially love that you can see the outline of her legs beneath the flowing material.  It gives the impression that the material is very lightweight.  (There is a little more information about this throne here.)

Speaking of King Tut, have you seen the reconstruction of his face?  In 2005, National Geographic reported that scientists used 3-D CT scans to reconstruct the first mummy of the ancient pharaoh.  Kinda cool, but also kinda creepy.  Check out this image of the bust on display at the Field Museum in Chicago - it totally reminds me of the heads that the witch Mombi stored in the "Return to Oz" movie. Yikes!