Friday, November 12, 2010

The Capitoline Wolf is Medieval?!?

I don't know how I missed this news (it's over two years old), but I thought that I would post it for others who may not have heard. In recent years scholars have questioned whether the "Capitoline Wolf" (an iconic statue of a she-wolf that is related to the mythological founding of Rome, see left) is Etruscan. Winckelmann first attributed this statue to the Etruscan period; he based his reasoning on the way that the wolf's fur is depicted. In turn, it generally became accepted that the statue was created in the 5th century BC.

However, a couple of scholars have questioned this attribution since the 19th century. The most recent critique was published by art historian Anna Maria Carruba in 2006. Carruba noted that in the 1997 restoration of the statue, it was observed that the she-wolf was cast as a single unit - a technique that was common during the medieval period.

Carruba's work eventually led to radio-carbon dating tests on the sculpture. About twenty dating tests were conducted at the University of Salermo, which resulted in the announcement that the she-wolf was created in the 13th century AD! In other words, she was created at least 1,700 years later than we originally thought. Wow. Sorry Winckelmann: it looks like you've struck out again. Ouch.

This is a crazy paradigm shift for me. I've always connected the Capitoline Wolf with the Etruscans (and the Romans by extension, since she is connected with the story of how Rome was founded). I've always known that the Romulus and Remus figures underneath were made during the Renaissance (they were fashioned in the late 15th century AD, probably by Antonio Pollaiolo), but it's crazy to think that the Capitoline Wolf is medieval.

I should note, though, that the attribution of this statue is still far from resolved. Not only can one get a sense of the ongoing debate here and here, but right now the Capitoline Museum still has the Etruscan date on their official website. As for me, though, I'm currently inclined to go with the radio-carbon tests and the several scholars which have questioned the attribution. (And maybe I feel this way because I often question Winckelmann's judgment, even outside of this Etruscan attribution.)

Is this news for anyone else? Maybe I'm just behind the times. What do other people think about this new date?