Friday, September 25, 2009

Can You Spot Jackson Pollock's Name?

Jackson Pollock, Mural, 1943 (University of Iowa Museum of Art)

My aunt just forwarded me this intriguing article from the most recent edition of Smithsonian.com. The writer of the article argues that Jackson Pollock hid the letters of his name among the swirls of his painting Mural (shown above). If you can't see these letters right-off-the-bat (I certainly couldn't), click here to see the Smithsonian interactive site.

What do you think about this? Do you buy it? Can you see the letters? I'm kind of on-the-fence about it. I think it's possible that Pollock might have included his name - I can see the "P" and "O" of his last name very distinctly. At the same time, though, I think that if a person stares at this painting long enough, they can see tons of other letters. I've been looking at this painting for a while, and (with the help of my imagination?) I can see a capital "A" in the lower right corner and a cursive, capital "T" in the upper right corner. So, I don't know if I'm completely sold on the idea. Nonetheless, it's fun to think about.

Do you spot anything else? If anyone can help me find a portrait of Clement Greenberg hidden in this painting, I'll give you five bucks. And then we can co-write a new article for Smithsonian.